Thursday, September 15, 2011

English Teacher's Fantasy


We Players is performing The Odyssey on a schooner. If you can afford it, GO. If not, see their free production on Angel Island in the spring.

This morning I set sail on the Alma--an 1891 schooner from the San Francisco Maritime Museum--to see We Players put on a live performance of The Odyssey on the Bay. I got very little sleep last night anticipating this event. I've taught The Odyssey to my high school freshmen every year for the past 10 years, and I'm teaching it again right now, so the timing couldn't have been better. I love this book. I was delighted I'd been chosen to volunteer at future performances (since I couldn't afford the $160 ticket), and eager to see who would portray Odysseus, how they would depict the various monsters, and if they could accomplish it all while under sail. I wasn't disappointed.

What I saw was a dress rehearsal. There will be eleven performances on the boat, scheduled on weekend afternoons in September, October, and November. If you can afford it, go. This was the best event I've been to in years--perhaps in all time. But if the cost is too high for you, don't worry. According to their website, We Players "are actively preparing a full-scale, by-donation, traveling, choose-your-own-adventure version of The Odyssey for Angel Island in Spring 2012." That one--like all We Players' past events--will be free.

This is an amazing troupe with a wonderful mission to perform classic works in public spaces. Check out their web site. http://www.weplayers.org Love them. I did. I took so many photos and video clips while on board that my iphone stopped midway and refused to take any more. Still, I captured enough to give you a good taste. It's delicious. Have some.

We boarded the boat at the Hyde Street Pier.

The Port of San Francisco sign looks out over the water from the Ferry Building at the foot of Market Street.

The Transamerica pyramid catches the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment