Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why I'm Not Leaving The Flat This Weekend

One problem with living in San Francisco is it's hard to find the "STOP" button. Last weekend was so full of fun that I practically keeled over dead.

It started Friday after work when I joined a few colleagues at Southern Pacific Brewing, a clean and hip little hard-to-spot, hole-in-the-wall with outdoor seating, artisan beer, and some powerful voodoo that makes roasted brussel sprouts taste good.

That night my sister and her husband arrived for the weekend, and though we'd planned to stay in, we couldn't resist having a couple at our favorite local, Specs, before heading over to consume super-delicious Chinese food at House of Nanking.

The next morning we were up early to ride over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito for breakfast. On the way, we passed through Aquatic Park where hordes of swimmers were emerging from the water after braving the Bay all the way from Alcatraz.
After stopping to admire them for awhile, we headed over the GGB and on to Sausalito, where I neglected to take pictures, but trust me: sitting outside eating breakfast while looking over the sparkling water to the San Francisco skyline is good.

On the way back over the bridge, we came upon this protest march about conditions in Syria. A few signs criticized Obama. I'm not sure what the U.S. is supposed to be doing over there, but after seeing the march, I'm going to look it up. Maybe this weekend, while staying in!

That night we left our guests on their own with a set of keys to the flat while we went out to see Sista Monica at Biscuits and Blues on Mason with friends. We'd bought the tickets months before. It was a really good show, and we loved the venue: small and intimate and low-ceilinged, with good southern food on the menu like catfish and corn fritters.
Then it was Sunday and time to ride our bikes to Golden Gate Park--which is more strenuous than riding to Sausalito, by the way, because of the big hills in between here and there--to see Opera in the Park. We stopped and bought sandwiches at a deli on Arguello, and really enjoyed the show.

It was an epic weekend, with good friends, good food, good music, good drink, and lots of sunshine and exercise. Just recounting it here has given me a warm glow. Then on Monday Ace told me, "I don't want to do anything for at least a week, so don't include me in any plans." And I understood. I really did. I put absolutely nothing on the calendar for this weekend. But now it's Thursday, my day off, and I can't help noticing on sf.funcheap that there's free Klezmer music at Yerba Buena Gardens today...

Where is that STOP button again?

No comments:

Post a Comment