Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Yummy Culture


Since returning to the City two months ago, my new favorite pass time is discovering it. Considering the number of restaurants, clubs, parks, bars, views, neighborhoods, statues, museums, buildings, theaters, shops, streets, stories, and people here, I'm sure I will never be done.

My current guide is the latest "Best of the Bay" issue of the SF Bay Guardian. That led me to sf.funcheap (Best Overall Local Web Site), where I am finding many marvelous things to do in S.F.

This past week, for example, we walked down to Union Square for free jazz via Rupa and the Little Fishes, went to a super cool 40th birthday bash/fair for Chez Panisse and the Edible Schoolyard in Berkeley, and watched a flash mob at the Ferry Building dance to Michael Jackson numbers in honor of his birthday.

Yum.


These middle school students are making chapati from scratch. They even threshed the wheat! (They put it in a pillowcase and beat it against the table.)

This statue is praying to the Alice Waters god to bring good, healthy food to all our schools.


Here's a little movie I made of the Flash Mob dancing to Michael Jackson numbers. Watch the whole thing, if you have 4 minutes and 11 seconds. There's a cute shot of my son at the end. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment